Autobiography of Wim Brul

This is the unfinished story of my life. To be continued.

My paternal great-grandfather is Jan Willem Theodoor Brul. He was born on June 7, 1845 in Delft and he died on January 5, 1895 in Amsterdam. My paternal great-grandmother is Yda Jacomina Overbeek. She was born on February 16, 1848 in Delft and she died on October 11, 1902 in Amsterdam. They got married on November 18, 1868 in Delft. They got 8 children: Maria Brul, Johannes Gerardus Brul (died jung), Johanna Brul, Jacoba Brul, my grandfather Jan Brul (tall grandpa), IJda Jacomina Brul (died very jung), IJda Jacomina Brul and Jan Willem Theodoor Brul.

My maternal grandfather is Ferdinand Valk (tiny grandpa). He was born on September 14, 1877 in Bellingwolde. He died on December 1, 1943 in Amsterdam. My maternal grandmother is Maria Wilhelmina Gerarda van Willige (tiny grandma). She was born on September 13, 1879 in Zaandam. She died on December 11, 1954 in Voorhout. They got married on September 18, 1907 in Amsterdam. They got 5 children: Johannes Wilhelmus Maria Valk (uncle Jan), Adriana Margaretha Elizabeth Valk (aunt Sjaan), Maria Engelina Valk (my mother), Margaretha Maria Valk (aunt Greet) and Wilhelmus Maria Valk (uncle Wim).

My paternal grandfather is Jan Brul (tall grandpa). He was born op January 14, 1877 in Amsterdam. He died on August 8, 1946 in Amsterdam. My paternal grandmother is Maria Johanna Elisabeth Essers (tall grandma). She was born on July 2, 1883 in Den Haag. She died on December 10, 1961 in Amsterdam. They got married on January 6, 1909. They got 3 children: Antonius Willem Theodorus Brul (my father), Jan Petrus Brul (uncle Jan) and Maria Johanna Elisabeth Brul (aunt Rie).

My father is Antonius Willem Theodorus Brul. He was born on April 23, 1910 in Amsterdam Oost. My mother is Maria Engelina Valk. She was born on June 21, 1911 in Watergraafsmeer. They got married on August 18, 1938 in Amsterdam. They got 6 children: Jan (June 26, 1939), Ferdinand (May 31, 1942), Mies (February 10, 1944), Wim (May 14, 1945), Jeanne (December 18, 1946) and Gerard (January 27, 1950). We were raised catholic but I do not believe.

Click here for my pedigree. Click here for my home page.


Pretoriusstraat 13 III, Amsterdam Oost.

I was born here on May 14, 1945. I am the 4th in line brothers and sisters. My brothers Jan and Fer and my sister Mies were born earlier and my sister Jeanne and my brother Gerard later. Jan had his own small room. Mies and Jeanne shared the middle room. Ferdinand and I shared the small attic room. Later on Ferdinand got the small attic room of mister van Kessel from 2nd floor. Gerard and I shared the small attic room then. Mies was the 1st one to leave home. That was on September 29, 1965 when she married Hans Spiegelenburg. Ferdinand was the 2nd one to leave home. That was on January 20, 1967 when he married Tineke de Beurs.

I went for 1 year to the R.K. FrŲbelschool "Clara Fey" at the Linnaeushof 46 in Amsterdam Watergraafsmeer followed by 6 years to the R.K. Parochieschool Sint Leonardus at the Bessemerstraat 25 in Amsterdam Watergraafsmeer. A school for boys. Later on I went to the R.K. Jongensschool voor ULO "St.Louis" at the Falckstraat 2 on the corner of the Reguliersgracht in Amsterdam Centrum. I had to go there by bike so my father would teach me how to do that. That was easier said than done but was successful eventually. In 3 years time I had my diploma MULO-A and after 1 more year my diploma MULO-B and my praktijkdiploma Engelse Handelscorrespondentie.

After that I went to the Hogere Technische School Amsterdam at the Plantage Muidergracht 14 in Amsterdam. A school with only boys. I studied there electrical engineering and in 4 years time I had my diploma. In the 3rd year of my study I was trained in succession by the "Corodex N.V." at the Noorderduinweg 48 in Zandvoort where in 3 month I had satisfactorily drawn the whole electrical installation of the factory, the "G.E.B. Amsterdam" at the Hoogte Kadijk 400 in Amsterdam where I was busy with flipflop and delay circuitry with transistors and relays for 3 month, and the "Zeeman Laboratorium" at the Plantage Muidergracht 4 in Amsterdam where I worked among others on a watercooled regulated high current power supply and a variable high voltage power supply for 6 month. After my graduation I worked for another 3 month at the "Zeeman Laboratorium" until I had to fulfill my military obligations.

My military service started in the Legerplaats Ossendrecht where I was drafted to DepŰt Artillerie. Here I had my basic training that lasted for 2 month. I worked there for 4 month at the administration because they did not know what to do with me but I got accepted eventually. An S3 case. My specialist training was in the Hojel Kazerne at the DepŰt Vbdd in Utrecht. Here I got trained for 6 month to be a telex mechanic. In my spare time I went often to the PMT, the Protestant Militair Tehuis. Although raised catholic I preferred to go there rather than to go to the KMT, the Katholiek Militair Tehuis.

I was 9 month on active duty in the Prins Hendrikkazerne at the 107 Lusvbdcie in Nijmegen. That was a very tremendous fanatic bunch. With a commando course including chicken slaughter. I remember one time being brought in by the marechaussee. By then I was already on my way to the barracks staggering and swaying while grabbing the fence with my left hand. I said that the beer had made me sick and therefore I was on my way back. They believed my story and let me go. I was 2 times transferred at my own request to the Legerplaats Seedorf at the Ststcie Pabrig in Germany. There I became part of a radio truck team. Moreover I had to keep the power generator up and running. After my military service we moved to the Middenweg 128 I.

Middenweg 128 I, Amsterdam Watergraafsmeer.

Here I lived with my parents, my sister Jeanne and my brothers Gerard and Jan. Both Jan and Jeanne had their own small front room. Gerard and I shared upstairs the back sleeping room. Gerard was the 3rd one to leave home. That was on October 2, 1970 when he married Sonja Hermans. After that I had that room for me alone. Jeanne always desired to have a larger room and when I went on assignment for a longer period she asked if she could use that room then. She got my permission but I did not realise that this was the way to loose that room to her. Unfortunately Jeanne suddenly died on May 28, 1972 at the age of 25.

On January 1, 1968 I got employed by IBM Nederland N.V. at the Special Engineering department in Uithoorn. I went there by bike up to the Haarlemmermeer Station and from there on by Maarse en Kroon bus. Several times I have been on assigment for IBM to the United States.

In 1970 I have been on vacation with Henk Eijlers to California, Jamaica and Bermuda during my 1st Endicott assignment. In 1971 with Henk Eijlers to New York, Mexico and Portugal during my 2nd Endicott assignment. In 1972 I have been on vacation to Kenia and Tanzania, in 1973 to Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand and in 1974 to Mexico and Guatemala. That were travel groups of Long Range Travel, Holland International. In 1975 I have been on vacation with Henk Eijlers and Bert Oudshoorn to Wyoming, Colorado and Arizona during my 1st Kingston assignment. In 1975 I have been on vacation to the Azores when travelling back from my Poughkeepsie assignment. In 1976 I have been on vacation to Japan, Hong Kong, the Filippines and Taiwan with a travel group of Long Range Travel, Holland International. In 1977 I have been on vacation to Antigua and Barbados during my 2nd Kingston assignment and at the end thereof I went on a round trip through South America.

In 1978 I left home to live by myself at the Marsmanlaan 25 in Uithoorn. When the furniture got delivered I was already back in America on assignment. My father accepted these for me then. Besides he always managed my financial business during such an assignment. In fact I did not want to go on assignment anymore but because I just started to work at Finance Systems I went anyway. On August 18 of that very same year my parents were married for 40 years. Therefore I especially flew back to celebrate that with the family. After the assignment I was once a Black Peter at the IBM Saint Nicholas feast.

My father died on September 25, 1999 at the age of 89. His mind failed him already much earlier. My mother took care of him as long as she could. It became unbearable the last couple of weeks before his death. By then he was admitted into the Slotervaart nursing home. He succumbed to pneumonia. Hij lies buried in plot 83 on the cemetery De Nieuwe Ooster at the Kruislaan 126 in Amsterdam. I think back wistfully about him.

My mother died on April 24, 2003 at the age of 91. That is 1 day later than the day at which my father would have become 93. Yet on April 1st of that year she did sent me a handmade thank you note with enclosed a letter that I wrote on wednesday October 29, 1952 to my little sister Marietje. She came across that when she was looking for something else. She lies buried with my father. Sometimes I feel like visiting her at home to chat with her and I realize that that cannot be done anymore.


Marsmanlaan 25, Uithoorn.

In 1978 I bought this house. In 1979 I met my wife to be Titia Anders. Together we have been on vacation to Palma de Mallorca. On December 19, 1979 we got married at the town hall of Uithoorn. We got 2 sons. The elder son Dave was born on September 22, 1980 at 03.33 hours. At birth Dave was 53 cm long and weighted 3560 grams. The younger son Sander Pim was born on April 28, 1983 at 08.33 hours. At birth Sander was 49 cm long and weighted 3660 grams. Both sons were born by caesarean section at the Andreas Ziekenhuis at the Theophile de Bockstraat 8 in Amsterdam.

Titia studied biology at the Universiteit van Utrecht and lived in Voorburg when we became acquainted. She worked as a teacher at the Wolfert van Borselen in Rotterdam and the Groen van Prinsterer in Voorburg. In between the births of our 2 sons she wrote her master thesis. For her I translated some professional literature in German which I directly recorded on cassette tape. She graduated and became Master of Science in Biology. She stopped working as a teacher and started a business of her own. She founded the ECVI, the Educatief Centrum Voor Informatica. She hired freelance teachers and when required I was standby teacher. As such I taught computer to some MAVO teachers in Uithoorn on the Commodore 64. She herself too taught computer to Surinam women in Bergen, Noord-Holland.

In 1981 we have been on vacation to Paramaribo in Suriname. We stayed with Hermine and Eugene Peroti, the eldest sister of Titia and her husband. In 1982 we have been on vacation to Athens and Crete in Greece. In 1984 we have been on vacation to Canada and the United States. That was combined with my business trip to Canada for the CFAS system. In 1985 we have been on vacation to Heilbachsee in Germany.

With our marriage on the rocks in 1986 I moved temporarily to Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel. Together with my childeren. After that I returned to live here alone. By then my childeren stayed at the Jeugdhuis Trompendaal in Hilversum where I visited them regularly in weekends. There I repaired punctured bike tires and played games with them and other kids. On April 5,1988 my children were admitted into a temporary foster home. That was with Greetje and Jan Noorman in Utrecht. I got sole legal custody on May 10, 1988 and on August 18, 1988 my final divorce from Titia was registered. Every 4 weeks in the weekend and during the vacations I collected my sons. Since I could not take care of my children by myself they went to a permanent foster home on July 16th, 1991. That was with Maria and Albert Nass first in Babberich and later on in Oud Zevenaar. Every 6 weeks in the weekend and during the vacations I collected my sons. That became less frequent later on until eventually I just visit them on their birthdays. By then it feels like they have left home and spread their wings.

Op 1 februari 1993 trad ik uit dienst bij IBM Nederland N.V. toen ik van hen een aanbod kreeg dat ik niet kon weigeren. Omdat ik in Amerika met veel plezier op volksdansen had gezeten ben ik gaan dansen bij Dans- en Partycentrum Colijn in Uithoorn samen met Sue Hardjopawiro die ik daar leerde kennen. We hebben tot 2004 samen gedansd en de Topklasse 3 bereikt. Sinds 1994 tennis ik met haar in de tennishal "De Ronde Venen" in Mijdrecht. Dat doen we tot nu toe nog steeds met veel plezier. Bij de Vrije Academie voor Kunsthistorisch Onderwijs volgde ik in 1994 een overzichtscursus en ging ik op kunstreis naar DŁsseldorf en Brugge.

Op 22 februari 1996 is mijn tante Rie overleden. Zij is nooit getrouwd geweest. Zij heeft een aantal jaren samengewoond met Karel Gomes. Dat was de vader van de bekende beeldhouwer Karel Gomes. Na zijn dood woonde zij weer alleen. Ik ben toen benoemd tot executeur testamentair. Samen met mijn zus Mies heb ik de uitvaart geregeld, de inboedel afgehandeld en de nalatenschap afgewikkeld. Dat samenwonen gaf meer complicaties dan ik voor mogelijk hield. Ik heb er van geleerd.

Mijn ex-vrouw Titia Anders is op 3 oktober 2002 overleden. Na een zwervend bestaan was ze in Den Haag gaan wonen. Met mijn zonen en mijn zus Mies hebben we toen haar familie weer ontmoet. Zij ligt begraven in vak G113 op de Oosterbegraafplaats aan de Rodelaan 64 te Voorburg. Haar overlijden heeft me diep geraakt.

Away from IBM means also away from the IBM Personal Computer Personeels Club. I am now a member of the Hobby Computer Club eComStation (HCC!eCS) usergroup. I program as a hobby with OS/2 and for OS/2 mainly in turbo assembler and sometimes in C, Rexx and NetRexx. From 1997 to 2003 I designed the C64 Emulator for OS/2 with the intention to learn assembly language in practice. I wanted to produce an emulator that was easy to use and that is fun to play with and I hope that I succeeded in that. In 2004 I designed Reset MBR for OS/2. It provides a set of programs to backup, restore or wipeout the Master Boot Record of physical disks present in or attached to an OS/2 system. It has been specifically designed to enable the partitioning of USB memory sticks under OS/2. In 2005 I designed Direct USB Control for OS/2. With it you may directly control USB devices from Rexx. That is then also possible with standard OS/2 Control Program functions from an application program. I produced this driver because I wanted to build a USB device by myself. It worked.

Ik raakte bevriend met mijn buurman Joop Herman. We praatten veel over wat ons bezighield. Over vroeger, ons werk, wonen, relaties en zorgen. Ik heb zijn visvijver die al jaren klaar stond ingegraven in de achtertuin. Daar heeft hij nog veel plezier van gehad. De laatste jaren werd hij steeds zieker. Ik repareerde zijn gadgets en zette tuinstoelen buiten. Dan zaten we te kletsen of te lezen. Ik kreeg uitleg over zijn planten, genealogie en windows. Ik bracht hem naar de dokter, tandarts, ziekenhuis. Begin 2007 ging dat niet meer. Hij was te zwak geworden. Daarna ging het snel. Joop Herman is op 17 april 2007 overleden. Ik mis hem.

Mijn zwager Hans Spiegelenburg kreeg in 2005 een hersenbloeding. Hij is in De Driehoven opgenomen geweest voor revalidatie. Omdat hij in een rolstoel terecht kwam moesten zij verhuizen. Ik heb mijn zus Mies toen geholpen het huis in te richten. Wij kunnen nu ook samen kliklaminaat leggen. Met Hans ging het niet zo goed. Hij is een paar keer in het ziekenhuis opgenomen geweest. Gelukkig kon hij steeds weer terug naar huis. Mies heeft hem jarenlang liefdevol verzorgd. Dat was niet gemakkelijk en heeft zijn tol geŽist. Hans is op 10 juli 2010 overleden. Mies heeft het zwaar. Wij missen hem.

Watsonweg 2-4, Uithoorn.

Hier heb ik van 1968 tot 1975 gewerkt bij Special Engineering. Van 1975 tot 1978 bij de System Communication Division en van 1978 tot 1986 bij Finance Systems. Tijdelijk van 1986 tot 1988 in Zoetermeer en daarna weer hier van 1988-1993 bij Infrastructure Components. Ik begon als Tekenaar Constructeur en werd in 1971 bevorderd tot Associate Engineer, in 1974 tot Senior Associate Engineer/Programmer, in 1977 tot Programmer Analyst en in 1981 tot Staff Programmer Analyst. In 1985 ontving ik een Administration Achievement Award voor de CAPRI-CFAS interface en in 1990 voor APS Development. In totaal heb ik 25 jaar en 1 maand voor IBM gewerkt.

Ik begon bij Special Engineering met kabelbomen maken op aanwijzingen van Erik de Vries. Ik tekende de modificaties van Ben Bunders aan de IBM 1206 Document Inscriber. Bij een klant in Berlijn bouwde ik de sorteer verbeteringen van Herman de Kleuver aan de IBM 1418 Optical Reader Sorter in. Toen Henk Eijlers ziek werd heb ik de burst mode data transfer van de IBM 1419 Magnetic Reader Sorter afgemaakt. Voor Henk Schaeffer maakte ik een test programma in assembler om handtekeningen te kunnen lezen op de IBM 1287 Optical Reader. Ton Daas ontwierp een insteekkaart voor de IBM 3270 Display Terminal om die handtekeningen te kunnen tonen. Ik heb daarvan de spanningsregelaar verbeterd. Voor het IBM System/370 Model 145 maakte ik de inverse move instructie. Dat deed ik ook voor de IBM 1401 Emulator.

Bij klanten heb ik documenten met 407 font op de IBM 1403 Printer afgedrukt. Dat was om het 407 font te kunen lezen op de IBM 1275 Optical Reader Sorter. De daarvoor benodigde logica heb ik gereduceerd d.m.v. boolean algebra en het ontwerp door design automation gehaald. Dat deed ik samen met Rob van den Wollenberg. Daarvoor moesten wij op zakenreis naar BŲblingen en Sindelfingen in Duitsland. Daar stond een IBM 7090 high capacity, high speed computer. Deze werkte met tientallen tape units. De invoer namen we mee in de vorm van ponskaarten. De output ging op tape naar de fabriek.

De 3145 kant van het 2938 Array Processor Attachment Feature heb ik ontworpen Dat werd een systeemplaat vervanging van de blokkanalen 3/4. Ik heb dat ontwerp door design automation gehaald. Dus gingen we weer op zakenreis naar BŲblingen en Sindelfingen in Duitsland. Toen het niet bleek te werken moest er gemeten worden. Een geheugen oscilloscoop bleek niet toereikend. Met een speciale multikanaals schrijver lukte het. Het bleek een timing probleem in de interface te zijn. De 2938 kant werkte niet volgens de specificaties. Dit heb ik opgelost door de 3145 microcode aan te passen. Dat was de goedkoopste en snelste oplossing want op diskette.

Bij Special Engineering ben ik 2 keer op assignment geweest. De 1e keer voor 5 maanden naar Endicott met Henk Eijlers om de microcode van het IBM System/370 Model 145 te leren. Dit assignment begon in oktber 1970. Wij werkten daar toen aan de ICL-1900 Emulator. De 2e keer voor 2 maanden in mijn uppie naar Endicott om het ontwerp van de koppeling van het IBM System/370 Model 145 aan de IBM 2938 Array Processor over te dragen. Dit assignment begon in oktober 1971.

Bij de System Communication Division ben ik 3 keer op assignment geweest. De 1e keer voor 5 maanden naar Kingston voor het leren van de IBM 3790 Rocket Control Code (RCC). Dit assignment begon in februari 1975. De 2e keer voor 2 maanden naar Poughkeepsie om de productie van de koppeling van het IBM System/370 Model 145 aan de IBM 2938 Array Processor te ondersteunen. Dit assignment begon in augustus 1975. De 3e keer voor 6 maanden naar Kingston voor het afleveren van de IBM 3790 Loop Processor Adapter Code (LPAC). Dit assignment begon in mei 1977.

Bij Finance Systems ben ik 1 keer op assignment geweest. Dat was voor 6 maanden naar Port Chester voor het leren van het CLS3 systeem. Dit assignment begon in mei 1978. Hoewel ik geen zin had in nog een assignment ben ik toch maar gegaan omdat ik niet langer met hardware maar met software ontwikkeling te maken kreeg. Na dit assignment werkte ik aan het Common Fixed Asset System (CFAS). Dat begon met mijn bijdrage aan het algemeen ontwerp betreffende de invoer van transacties vanaf andere common systemen zoals de Common Import Data Handler (CIDH) en het World Trade Advanced Administrative System (WTAAS) en ook de reconciliation met dat laatstgenoemde systeem. De ondersteuning van de installatie van het CFAS systeem in de diverse landen was teveel voor 1 persoon en werd dus verdeeld over een paar medewerkers. Ik was verantwoordelijk voor BraziliŽ, Canada, Finland, ItaliŽ en Japan. Daar moest ook voor gereisd worden.

Bij Infrastructure Components ben ik niet meer op assignment geweest. Ik werkte daar als projectleider en was verantwoordelijk voor Batch Transaction Monitor (BTM), Common Security (COMSEC), Data Dictionary Facility (DDF) en Screen Dialogue Transaction Manager (SDTM). Dat betrof onderhoud en het geven van cursussen. In 1992 heb ik samen met Jan Koops de CICS-COMSEC interface ontworpen. Daarvoor wilden wij op cursus om CICS te leren. Dat mocht pas na veel aandringen bij onze manager. Ik begreep dat niet. Later bleek dat wij als overtollig beschouwd werden.

Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel

Zwanendaal 55, Nieuwerkerk aan den IJssel.

Hier heb ik tijdelijk gewoond toen ik vluchtte met mijn kinderen. Eerst waren wij een aantal maanden bij Ferdinand en Tineke in huis. Wij mochten hun slaapkamer gebruiken en zij sliepen op de zolder. Dat was een onhoudbare situatie en ik was radeloos en overspannen. Het beste zou zijn om van Titia te scheiden en in Zoetermeer te gaan werken. Tineke was bereid om overdag de kinderen op te vangen. Dave bracht ze naar de Gideonschool aan het Kroonkruid 107 en Sander naar de peuterspeelzaal "Pippeloentje" aan het Slangekruid 1. Ik zocht, vond en kocht daarom in hun buurt deze woning. Ik ben de echtscheidingsprocedure begonnen.

Ik zat bijna 1 jaar overspannen thuis. Ik begon weer met werken in Zoetermeer. Tineke zorgde overdag voor de kinderen. Ik heb het met Titia opnieuw geprobeerd. Het echtscheidingsvonnis heb ik laten verlopen. Ferdinand en Tineke trokken zich daarop terug. Het ging jammer genoeg weer mis en alles liep uit de hand. Tineke schakelde ten einde raad de kinderbescherming in. De kinderen zijn toen onder toezicht en uit huis geplaatst. Zij werden in het Jeugdhuis Trompendaal in Hilversum ondergebracht. Ik ging daar regelmatig eens in de maand op bezoek. Ik ben toen opnieuw de echtscheidingsprocedure begonnen.

Eind 1987 ben ik terug verhuisd naar Uithoorn. Deze woning heb ik weer verkocht.

Conforms to XHTML 1.0 Conforms to CSS 2.1 © W.M.Brul 2008-2016, all rights reserved.